The URL checker can be found as a button at the bottom of the Create or Edit URL screen as well as the main link in WebFilter's page called "Rule URL Checker."
The main purpose of it is to check different URLs against your rules to see if you might have any conflict. Let's take a look at a case together.
- A Rule at the Account level
- URL: *google.com/*q=*
- Allow: Yes
The rule above is used to allow searching on google.com; it will match and allow things like...
Let's say that you wanted to test if your rules will allow you going to Google Images. In order to do this, we can follow the steps below.
- Go to the page that you want to check and collect the URL. In our case
- Goto to google.com
- Enter sunset and press enter
- Click on the images tab
- Copy the URL for this webpage into your clipboard. You can do this by clicking on the URL on top and them right click and select copy.
- Login to WebFilter control panel by going to http://Prod.WebFilterNow.com
- Goto Rule Checker by clicking on the link ontop "Rule URL Checker"
- Input the following
- Rule URL: Paste the URL that you copied before from google images. You can do this by pressing right-click and then select paste.
- Type: Deny
- This is what you would ultimately like to do, deny access to this page.
- User: The user that this applies to.
- Click on the "Check URL" button
This will yield to you a result similar to what you see below.
This is telling you the rule that we created before to allow google, will allow the URL that you would like to deny. IF you get nothing back, that means that you do not have any rules that will interfere with you blocking Google Images.
Now that we know that we have a problem, how do we fix it? We need to modify the original rule to be more specific. Follow the steps below.
- Click on the edit link, option 3 on your current screen. This will open a new tab for you to edit your rule.
- Modify the Rule Url to be as follows: *.google.com/*q=*&oq=*
- Scroll down and click on the Save button
- Close this tab. This will leave back in the previous tab, the URL checker.
- Click on the Check URL button again
Now you should see a screen similar to the one below.
Now you know how to use the URL Checker. If you have any questions, please feel free to open a ticket via email to Support@WebFilterNow.com, we are always happy to help.